I must confess, I have always been afraid of alcohol based markers…I am not very good at coloring and the thought of using them has always made me panic a bit. But the Blendabilities from Stampin’ Up! made me take the plunge and give it a try. I used the new Blended Bloom stamp and, after watching a couple of training videos, I went to work. This is what I colored on my first try:
I know that it’s not perfect, but I was pretty amazed at how easy it was to color this flower image even for an amateur like me! I’m definitely looking forward to practicing more. 🙂
My card design was inspired by the Mojo Monday 344 Sketch.
I adhered a square of Daffodil Delight DSP (also from the Brights DSP Stacks) to a square of Whisper White card stock, then to the card front with SNAIL. Then I cut a tag with the Chalk Talk Framelit from Whisper White card stock and I adhered it to the card front with SNAIL.
I stamped the image from the Blended Bloom stamp (available June 2) in Memento Tuxedo Black Ink (available June 2) and let it sit for about 1 minute until it was completely dry. I colored the image with my Rich Razzleberry and Daffodil Delight Blendabilities Markers (available soon). I found it easiest to color from darkest to lightest, but each person seems to develop their own favorite way to use this type of marker. I also used the Color Lifter (available soon) on the areas of the flower that are really light. When I was done coloring, I cut the flower image out with my Paper Snips and adhered it to the card front with Stampin’ Dimensionals.
It took me a minute to figure out what to use for the little “flagpole” on this card. Then it occurred to me that I could color the end of a standard stick pin with my Blendabilities Marker so that it matched the rest of my card! I pulled out my little sewing kit and found a pearl ended pin and I colored it with the medium shade of the Rich Razzleberry Marker.
Then I colored the sentiment from the Itty Bitty Banners stamp set (wood mount and clear mount) with my Stampin’ Write Markers, stamped it on a Whisper White panel, then cut it out with the matching Bitty Banners Framelits Die. I rolled the end of the sentiment banner around the stick pin and added a little Multipurpose Liquid Glue to keep it in place. Then I stuck the end of the stick pin into one of the Stampin’ Dimensionals that secures the flower to the card front and adhered the sentiment banner with another Stampin’ Dimensional. I tied a bow from Daffodil Delight 1/2″ Seam Binding Ribbon and adhered it to the card front with a Glue Dot to finish it.
I kept the inside simple by adhering a strip of leftover Rich Razzleberry DSP to a Whisper White panel.
A few things to know about the Blendabilities Markers from Stampin’ Up!:
- Since the markers are alcohol based, the do bleed right through your paper and onto whatever your work surface is so be sure to protect it before you start coloring.
- The markers a specifically designed to work with Stampin’ Up!’s Whisper White card stock.
- The caps are very tight and have a narrow channel that the tips fit down into. It works best if you place the cap and the marker on a flat surface, line them up and push them together until they click.
- The three pack of colors makes it really easy to coordinate for blending (especially for color challenged people like me!!).
- I’ve been pinning videos with good tips and techniques for using Blendabilities on my 2014-15 Annual Catalog Pinterest Board. So head over there to check them out!
- Stampin’ Up! has announced to Demonstrators that the Blendabilities may not be available for purchase immediately on June 2 when the new catalog starts. I’m seeking further clarification on that and I’ll let you know as soon as I have a definite answer for you.
- Once they are available, definitely give them a try! They are a lot of fun to color with. 🙂
You can find a complete list of supplies, including card stock cuts, at the very bottom of this post.
May 1-15 Hostess Code: 6BX7XPUK
Use this hostess code when you order and receive a free gift from me! If your order is over $150, please do not use this code, but you’ll still get the free gift! The free gift for May is your choice of 1-1/4″ Burlap Ribbon, 7/8″ Cotton Ribbon or Natural 5/8″ Chevron Ribbon.
Weekly Deals From Stampin’ Up! May 6-12
Here are this weeks Weekly Deals from Stampin’ Up!
Click here to see the Weekly Deals from Stampin’ Up! in my online store. The Weekly Deals are only while supplies last and only available at these great prices through May 12.
If you need any stamping supplies, I’d be very happy to be your Demonstrator. Just click on the Order Stampin’ Up! Online Now button on the right side of the screen to go directly to my online store or drop me an email if you have any questions. Happy Stamping!
- Stampin’ Up! retiring list has posted and items are available only while supplies last. Click here to head right over to my online store to start shopping.
- Visit my online store here.
- Shop the Clearance Rack here.
- Earn FREE Stampin’ Up! Products – Join my Running Shoe Rewards Program – My online customer thank you program!
- In addition to my online store, also take PayPal payments for orders – Check my Rewards page for more information.
- I offer gift certificates for Stampin’ Up! merchandise too! Click on my Gift Certificates page for more information.
Stampin’ Up! items used to create this card:
Stamps: Blended Bloom (available June 2 – 135906 wood only); Itty Bitty Banners (132022 wood, 126257 clear)
Dies: Chalk Talk Framelits Dies (129983); Bitty Banners Framelits Dies (129267)
Embellishments : Daffodil Delight 1/2″ Seam Binding Ribbon (125583)
Card Stock: Rich Razzleberry (115316) – 4-1/4″ x 11″ card base; Whisper White (100730) – Chalk Talk Framelits die cut, Bitty Banners Framelits die cut, hand cut flower image, 2-3/4″ x 2-3/4″ square, two 4″ x 5-1/4″ panels (one inside card); Brights Designer Series Paper Stacks (130134) – 3-7/8″ x 5-1/8″ panel, 2-5/8″ x 2-5/8″ square, 1/2″ x 4″ strip (inside card)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black Ink (available June 2 – 132708); Rich Razzleberry Stampin’ Blendabilities Marker (available soon – 131003); Color Lifter (available soon – 129369); Daffodil Delight Stampin’ Blendabilities Marker (130998); Rich Razzleberry (120970) & Daffodil Delight (119677) Stampin’ Write Markers
Tools: Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (113439); Stick Pin
Adhesive: SNAIL (104332); Stampin’ Dimensionals (104430); Glue Dots (103683); Multipurpose Liquid Glue (110755)